* For certain definitions of complete
It has been about a week now since I released Fairy Factions version 0.5.2 (not a beta) to the overwhelming silence of the unadvertised void. We’ve had about 100 downloads since then and no error reports, so I’m going to count that as a win.
This week, I will be composing an MCF thread and building a new wiki (or something) for documenting the mod in an attempt to actually attract more people to using it. I’ve never really cared about mod install rates before (with the notable exception of SMB’s AutoPackager – which he totally wrote because I asked him to, btw). But I want people to see this mod. It straddles the line very nicely between vanilla style play and heavy modding, and I think it would make a lot of people smile.
I have commitments for German and Italian translations, so that is also a thing that should get the ball rolling 😉
Fairy Factions 0.5.2 Features
But what exactly do I mean by “feature complete”? I mean that the current mod is stable on 1.7.10 and has all of the standard features from the original 1.2.5 mod that people would expect:
- Fairies spawn as tribal factions in the world, surrounding a queen.
- Except sometimes, lone fairies spawn as well.
- Fairies come in a variety of subclasses: normal, guard, scout, rogue, healer, queen…
- Fairies will fight back if attacked, but if you either kill the queen or kill everything in a group except the queen, the remaining fairies may be persuaded to join you.
- Tamed fairies may be carried on your head, and will grant minor powers of flight (eventually they get tired).
- Tamed fairies may be renamed by handing them a piece of paper, and may have their hairstyle changed by using shears on them.
- Tamed fairies will generally follow their leader (but they’re not great at it), so can be assigned to a post by placing a sign down with their name on it.
- Posted fairies will perform a variety of tasks based on tools provided in a chest near their sign:
- A hoe will allow them to farm wheat, carrots, and potatoes.
- An axe will allow them to chop any vanilla trees.
- A fishing pole will allow them to fish in a nearby body of water of sufficient size.
- Shears will allow them to collect wool from sheep.
- Appropriate feed will allow them to breed animals.
- Posted fairies will also attempt to farm sugarcane, but they’re terrible at it.
- Posted fairies are also somewhat protected from poaching by other players.
Oh, and there’s also a fairy spawn egg now, because yay spawn eggs.
It works well, I’m happy, and my kids are happy.
But we can do more.
Plans for 0.5.3
I have already started on porting the mod to MC1.8.9 (since I don’t expect a stable Forge release for 1.9 to land for a bit longer – as it only formally released today). My port is making decent progress, and I’m mostly down to rendering issues before I can start testing it. My plan with MC 1.8 is similar to that for MC 1.7 – I am going to get it running and stable with as few changes as necessary, as quickly as possible.
So far, the only planned new feature will be ensuring that rabbit breeding works 😉 I can’t see how that could possibly end badly.
Whenever the 1.9 Forge update drops (hopefully in a couple of weeks), I plan on giving it the same treatment (adding support for farming beets, etc…).
Beyond that, I can’t say… but we do have a bunch of actual new features planned that I will be compiling somewhere public for people to discuss/vote on for when the time comes. At the very least, we want to add a lot of compatibility with other mods and would like to address the question of how fairies spawn and are tamed (especially in peaceful mode).